Beatty In Michigan For Deposition — Former Chief Of Staff Questioned In Tamara Greene Case

BIRMINGHAM, Mich. — The former chief of staff and lover of ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was back in Detroit for questioning as part of a lawsuit involving the unsolved death of exotic dancer Tamara Greene.

This was Christine Beatty’s second visit to Detroit.

“Can you not do the camera thing right now,” she said to Local 4 as she entered her attorney’s office.

Her questioning is tied to the lawsuit attorney Norman Yatooma is bringing against the city of Detroit on behalf of Greene’s family. The lawsuit claims high-ranking city officials obstructed the investigation into Greene’s 2003 fatal shooting because it would reveal unflattering details about accusations that Kilpatrick was with Greene at a rumored-but-never-proven party at the Manoogian Mansion in 2002.

“Christine Beatty, she was the mouthpiece for that,” Yatooma said. “She has been the arms and legs, eyes and ears of Mayor Kilpatrick.”

Yatooma said because of Beatty’s history with Kilpatrick, she is a key player in determining if any cover-ups were initiated.

“It has been a pattern and practice of this city to turn a blind eye, or worse yet an iron fist, at anybody who comes near the helm of the king,” he said.

Beatty served as the chief of staff for then mayor Kilpatrick from 2002-2008.

In January 2008, she resigned after a political sex scandal and criminal charges of perjury.

During the whistle-blower trial where Deputy Police Chief Gary Brown said he was wrongfully fired for investigating Kilpatrick, Beatty and Kilpatrick testified under oath they were not having an extramarital affair.

However, when the Detroit Free Press retrieved thousands of text messages between Beatty and Kilpatrick, they showed the two did conspire to fire Brown and were involved in a sexual relationship.

An $8.4 million plea deal was reached between the city of Detroit and Brown.

Beatty pleaded guilty to two felony obstruction of justice charges and was sentenced to four months in jail, ordered to pay $100,000 in restitution and placed on probation for five years.

She served 70 days in jail.

She has since moved out of Detroit to Atlanta. She is divorced and has two young daughters.

“She is trying to get more employment. She has partial employment but she is trying to get more,” said her attorney Mayer Morganroth.

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search